Thursday, February 21, 2008

Life as a ghost

Hmmm. I got "tombstoned" from what has become my very favorite site for political discourse.

I'm not sure I've got a cruel and unusual punishment argument on the lethal injection. I didn't feel a thing. The mods were silent, efficient, and the procedure itself was relatively painless.

Except I do miss the give-and-take of a virtual corporeal being. Oxymoron, I know.

Strangely, I'm getting these snippets of calls from the land of the living. Dave, can you hear me? Dave, are you there? Dave, turn the crystal ball green if you are receiving us.

All metaphorical, metaphysical teasing aside, no, I will not be making a statement about what (I think) caused me to get the tombstone. It would be churlish and uncharitable to the Founders, Admins, and Mods of the site. They were hospitable hosts. What kind of a total jerkoff would I be to rant and rave against their best judgment?

Those I'll miss? Oh, I won't list them. I'll miss someone or leave someone out, and then feel really bad.

But some of you have the contact info. Drop me a line. If you do it here as a comment, my only caution would be to create a different identity here, so anyone lurking won't be able to figure out it's you in the other online world. No need to attract suspicion via guilt by association.

Yes, I've received copies of some of what's being said. Yes, I know some of it is slanderous. Yes, I know some of it is libelous. Yes, I know that some of it is probably actionable.

But what would be the point of hurting a community I honestly came to care so deeply about? Fear. Anger. Hate. Suffering.

Gotta break that cycle.

Besides, the untruth of a good part of it will be apparent for most to see before March 4th.

The upside of being a ghost? I'm no longer tied to that world. I still care about it, but with a certain sense of detachment.

In real, non-metaphorical terms, that means I got many more phone calls and e-mails placed out to journalists today than I might otherwise have done.

I ran out to my favorite coffee shop and grabbed a bite and some of the good stuff.

Spring is here. Batting cages call. I'm in a good place. Don't mourn for me.

But do, every once in a while, dim the lights and hold a little seance. That is to say, if you speak to me in the Great Beyond, I'll do my best to say something interesting back.

And now we come to the worst part of the "afterlife" that I've discovered so far. Emoticons don't work. But some of you will know what this means.

:toast:

:hug:

:grouphug:

- Dave

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing my ass off.

You're officially an outcast.

ROTFLMAO!

You! Mild-mannered David.

Yup, this needs to be noted. Long day here on the campaign trail, but this deserves a blog entry.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dave! Davey! David!

You still up? I left you a little present on my blog.

You outcast. Outlaw!

I cannot stop laughing.

D. Hippauf said...

DU is all the more poorer with your participation.

I fear the primary-wars have torn it to bits...

what was once a an exciting and informative place for news and discussion is now at the level of a nursery school debate over graham crackers or fig newtons at snack time
--

D. Hippauf said...

OMG!!!

Just finished making some toast, and it looks like an image of prometheus on it...

:ROFL:

CorpGovActivist said...

Hey Ides! Hey Revesta!

Thanks for dropping by to cheer me up. I'm busy working on two projects today:

1. The website (which you both know about); and

2. The "story" that some "Democratic" ostriches can't bear to face. Journalists are salivating for that one.

Ides, you're too much. That made me laugh. Thanks! I needed it.

Revesta, save the holy toast. eBay calleth.

:toast:

- Dave

Anonymous said...

Why, Dave, I had no idea you had started a blog! I was very saddened by your ts'ing at DU, and cannot imagine WHY. You were always SO kind to me, and to many others. In fact, you were a lot kinder to many others than I ever would have been. It is DU's loss, and DW's gain. I learned so much from you and "Old Faithful", and I have joined DW as well.

You were a shining star for me at DU - one of the few that I REALLY paid attention to, always, and I will continue to do so at DW. I see so many who SHOULD be banned for continuous bashing, personal attacks, et al, yet they remain, and you and ides are gone. It's sad.

I'm glad, though that you have "landed" at DW - I know how much you have to offer to people who are interested in listening, so I will see you there! :hug:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You were tombstoned about the same time I was! Glad to know I was in such good company!

I was "ursi"

and a couple of years ago I was nvmojo.

Peace and thanks for the blog!